I have been keeping a fitness log since September of last year (so about 5 months). I started tracking my exercise because I signed up for my first Reebok Spartan race! With something specific to train for, I have been much more motivated to keep up with my workouts. Having a goal makes such a big difference. It pushes you on the days your really not feeling it and its something to look forward to. My race date is in April, so I still have plenty of work to do.
When I track my workouts, I include the following:
- Main activity (HITT, yoga, running, weight training, etc) & duration
- Main muscle groups targeted
- RPE- rate of perceived exertion, which is a fancy way of stating how hard I worked. I use the Borg 6-20 scale.
- What was most challenging
- Any other notes- how I felt, if anything come up mentally, how sore I feel or just anything else I feel like noting.